New To Having A Chimney? Know Why Your Chimney Will Need Cleaning

Blog

Have you recently bought a home that has a chimney? If so, the process of caring for a chimney will be brand new to you. A chimney is not something that you can simply ignore; it does need to be cleaned from time to time to ensure that is can be safely used. Here two reasons why you need to clean a chimney.

Your Chimney Could Catch On Fire Due To Creosote

The biggest risk of not cleaning a chimney is that it can catch on fire. This is due to the buildup of creosote inside the chimney, which is very difficult to spot until you are trying to look for it. Unfortunately, many homeowners are not aware of what creosote is and how it can create a fire.

The most basic type of creosote is very easy to remove during a routine chimney cleaning. It is loose, which makes it easy to remove with a brush. The initial buildup of creosote can form from burning wood, which will travel up the chimney along with the heat. This coats the entire inside of the chimney liner in places that are not easy to reach.

Creosote can also be a dry and flaky substance that is harder to remove from a chimney. Thankfully, it is still possible to remove it with the help of a professional chimney cleaning service. This type of creosote is typically caused by wood stoves. In some situations, creosote can look like a tar coating, which forms when there is a problem with insufficient combustion in the chimney or having an over-sized flue.

Since creosote is highly flammable, it can catch on fire if the chimney's temperature gets hot enough.

Your Chimney Can Leak Carbon Monoxide Into Your Home

Excessive buildup of creosote in the chimney can cause a blockage, which makes it harder for fumes to escape to the outside of your home. This can cause carbon monoxide to seep back into your house, which can be a life threatening problem.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, and it will tend to make you feel nauseous, have a headache, or be short of breath. Though those are early signs, if you continue to remain exposed to carbon monoxide, it can cause brain damage and organ failure.

Thankfully, both of these problems can be avoided with chimney cleaning. Contract a professional in your area that can handle it for you.

Share

17 January 2018

metal or shingled roofing - what do you choose?

I spent weeks researching metal and shingle roofing to try to figure out what would be the best material to use on my home. I weighed the costs, the length of life, the amount of maintenance required and how well each type would hold up to high winds and strong storms. After compiling all of the information that I needed to make an educated decision about the roofing for my home, I created a blog. This blog is meant to help other homeowners decide which roofing material would be best for their homes now and many years into the future.